After the passing of a loved one, funerals and burials are among the most poignant and emotionally devastating moments that you encounter in your lifetime. Funerals can give us closure by celebrating and sanctifying the life of the person who has passed on, as well as help us to mourn their passing.
Unfortunately, funeral homes and cemeteries are not always as careful as they should be. Careless mistakes and appalling shortcuts can result in terrible experiences for the grieving family members. Many of today’s funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries have been acquired by large corporations where profitability takes priority over proper handling and care of the dead. As a result, funeral and burial abuse can occur.
Blaut Weiss is a funeral home and cemetery abuse law firm that represents families in Florida funeral, cremation and cemetery lawsuits. If a family member has been a victim of funeral home abuse please contact our Florida law firm online, or call Blaut Weiss at 954.634.1800, to better understand your legal options.
IMPROPER FUNERAL AND GRAVESIDE CARE
In the last few years we have seen a rise in the following unscrupulous acts by funeral, cemetery and cremation providers including:
- Improper embalming
- Theft of jewelry and valuables from the corpse before burial and without authorization
- Employing bait-and-switch tactics regarding coffins
- Placing more than one body in a coffin
- Removing and selling body parts
- Improperly storing bodies
- The wrong bodies being cremated
- Bodies not being correctly buried or not buried at all
- Failing to maintain the cemetery, mausoleum or gravesite
Funeral home abuse and exploitation can also include fraud and deception or fraudulent pre-need contracts.
SOMETIMES TRUST CAN BE MISPLACED
Florida law requires funeral homes and cemeteries handle, transport and bury human remains in a proper, respectful and dignified manner. Funeral industry standards require that body identification be checked daily, and also every time a body is moved for any reason, even from one room to another within the same facility. Sometimes proper protocol and standards of care are violated. When this happens, you may be entitled to financial compensation, and more importantly, you can regain some inner peace through the knowledge that an unethical funeral home has been held responsible for their misconduct.
Blaut Weiss is a funeral home and cemetery abuse law firm who represents families in Florida funeral, cremation and cemetery lawsuits. If a family member has been a victim of funeral home abuse please contact our Florida law firm online, or call Blaut Weiss at 954.634.1800, to better understand your legal options.
WHAT PROTECTIONS EXIST IN FLORIDA?
Both Florida and federal law prohibit abuse of the deceased. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has issued a number of consumer protections that are designed to curb dishonest practices by funeral directors. Protections include mandatory disclosures and rights such as:
- A right to be told the price of all goods and services over the telephone
- The ability to only purchase the goods or services you want (anti-bundling)
- The right to see a written and itemized general price list
- The right to see a written casket price list
- The ability to purchase a casket or urn from a source other than the funeral home
- The ability to make funeral arrangements without requiring embalming services
Likewise, Florida state law provides consumer protections while protecting the dignity of the deceased and the family from additional emotional trauma.